Thursday 24 November 2011

Day 14: Advocacy and visit to Constitutional Hill - 17 Nov 2011

Thursday morning! I feel like I’ve never slept. I drag myself out of bed. Feel excited too, but still have to analyse the excitement.

No one was there to walk, run or gym, except me, or did I miss it??? Never mind. I walk back to my room and start working on our presentation layout. Fun!

08h30 we were entertained by Karin Kitching (US Embassy Librarian). She spoke on the advocacy toolkit. The most outstanding activity in this session for me was: create a 30 second elevator speech to have an impact on the most important person in the elevator. I realised that sometimes we want to have an impact on people’s lives, but we say the wrong things. Nonetheless, I am having the opportunity to work on the right speech!

The Director (UPLS) Robert Moropa spoke on Locating Libraries on the radar screen. A very unique and interesting topic! We had fun with him and his sayings… so where do I see myself in the next 5years. Out of practice or on the radar screen of International librarianship? Had you wonder for a second…

How exciting were we when we got lunch boxes packed like school kids for our visit to the Constitutional Hill. I really do not want to say more about this as I still feel hurt for the treatment humans had in this place! However, we stick close to each other and encouraged one another to walk through and hold on. We hold hands to show our togetherness in all facets. On the ride back to the Hotel we were sitting each one with our own thoughts!


The rush of fear hit us after supper. Groups had discussions and uncertain question about the presentations of the next day. Deep down in my heart I had excitement too, but the fear was predominant.

Very late that night I realised the excitement was: There is 2 more days to go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment