Saturday 12 November 2011

Day 5: Organisational Leadership in Practice - 08 Nov 2011

Today I got up with a terrible migraine headache. I think the challenge in the group is the air conditioner temperature for all of us. I felt like my world is turning and I could not even concentrate, non the less I got ready and join in the session.

Prof Yvonne du Plessis (Dept. of Marketing & Communication, UP) gave us a full day presentation on Organisational leadership. This was a very theoretical approach and since I could not concentrate I requested to be excused. I took medication and slept for an hour and felt so much better when I got up. 

Today our world were shaken. One of our colleagues cousin passed away, to whom she was very close. It came as a real shock to her. The group shared the pain and for the rest of the day we could not help feeling sad with her.

Even though we had sadness in the camp, we still need to work. Our presenter gave her best and we had a marvelous afternoon session. 

Herewith a picture of a activity we had to do. The instruction was that we should draw a picture to describe our leadership. In this picture the house represent me. Windows and doors refer to the open mindedness as leader. The satellite on the house refer to my IT specialty. The scenery: Tree and swing refer to freedom and creativity; Mountain refer to the fact that no life is without challenges and so is our leadership journey; Birds = the freedom to reach my goals; The sun = my innovation and creative thinking to new developments; The clouds refer to our mentors to whom we can always get back to for more information and guidance in our lives and lastly the River is the journey as leaders and we have to direct and lead no matter the direction!

So this was my day! Now the evening responsibility start. After dinner we met in our individual groups and all the hard work starts. We have a group assignment to do and the deadline is Friday 18 November 2011. The challenge for this is that each one in our group has a different personality that we had to deal with! That I will discuss as we go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment